About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

May 10, 2007

Spiritual life

I had a small exchange with my colleagues yesterday about the 'holy spirit' and/or it's equivalent i.e. spiritual life, over brunch. My colleague wanted to know why it was necessary for me, to re-visit a shrine, given that GOD is everywhere...this was between 2 buddhists and one christian.
My illustration to him was simple.
GOD is everywhere, we don't dispute that.
BUT when we are in trouble, and we kneel and pray for guidance.
We walk away and months later, we feel better, things work out.
What do we do? We give thanks -
Next question, why do we go back to the same shrine? My response was again courtesy...if your friend helped you, you thank him, not his neighbour. Sure, GOD is everywhere, but when we go back to the House of God (so to speak), we go back to thank him there - polite thing and correct way of conducting ourselves.
Some people like to celebrate mass at a particular church, because when the church is full, and the hymns are being sung, you can feel the energy of life, love and forgiveness - I would get goose-bumps...that is the positive energy we tap onto - to better our life.
Philosophy? Perhaps - but it's our responsibility to ensure that our spiritual life gets fed with the right energy - for us to be on the correct path.
It may seem like I'm giving myself endless trouble, having to go back all the way to that one shrine...but I would be in a lot more trouble if I didn't even bother - because that is no way to say thank you, and it's certainly not how I would want me to be - ignorant and ungrateful.
We all move at different paces before we reach a point when we realise - our spiritual life needs to be fed. The sooner we get to that point, the clearer life will get.
He's a good friend, this colleague of mine - he just hasn't gotten there yet....

No comments: