About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

August 11, 2008

caged in - a parallel idea

Of the many things I wanted to do was to go grill-less at home. It's a singapore phenomenon - where the first thing we do is to cage ourselves in. It wasn't my preferred decor, but since the apt came with grilles, I never thought about removing them until now - it's almost a parallel idea the feeling caged in.
Perhaps, the history of having the entire apt grilled has to do with the policies of our public housing before - must be married before you get a flat - we have since moved away from that stand, but nevertheless, it's interesting to note.
For me, being married has always meant being caged in - because I was very limited in what I could say or do, without offending the other party in the conversation. Sure, some school of thought would say, but if you're married and in a permanent relationship, there should be no 'secrets' i.e. speak freely.
WRONG.
There can never be times we can speak freely without having someone feeling a little offended - or taken aback. Having a legal document in between the relationship doesn't make it easier, but complicates the already sensitive moment - because one party will be thinking, it's okay to say what you think because of the marriage; the other will be thinking, we are married so there is no more consideration required, therefore, i'm being insulted.
Back to grilles.
I have had them removed and now I can see through my windows without needing my visual path to zig-zag for a clear view. The affected rooms look so fresh and open - like a sense of being free.
I know my contractor had reservations about it, because of security - but well, I'd rather have a real sense as opposed to a false sense of security.

No comments: