About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

August 07, 2008

What's in the age?

A very good looking boy, I must say boy, because he's a good 20 years younger than I, asked me if he could buy me coffee sometime, if I didn't mind the age difference.
A few questions cropped up.
First - it's just coffee, so if I am free and don't mind the company, what's the big deal.
Second - he doesn't believe I'm the age I say I am, so maybe that's why he doesn't mind
Third - he's just being fresh

Whatever it is that is a cliche in this meeting is not something that would bother me - because it has always been about the person in totality, never about how he looked, what colour he is, or what's his educational level. I enjoy a person's company because they have an interesting take on life - if someone is going to pop out of an SOP then I won't be keen to even have a brief conversation, let alone coffee.

He's not local, so it's expected that most are just keen on partying and exchanging fluids with the local girls. He's probably no different except that he's very polite and so far has not been even remotely cocky. How did I bump into him? Well, believe it or not, I was buying stuff (as usual), that's when I get chatted up with, because it's the only time I'm actually standing at a spot longer than 5 seconds. He asked for a card and I gave, because for me, it's always a possible referral business and he's not on our wanted list. Name cards are exchanged times over with no fanfare.

So, what's in the age?
Nothing except for putting candles on the cake because from my most recent experience, people who are 10 years older than I, have failed to make-it correctly in terms of wisdom or behavior, throwing tantrums and accusing others of behaving like a kid.

It's not about how many years we have been on earth, but it's about how many of those life lessons we have learnt and practised so that we are better people for others and ourselves. It's pointless to have a coffee if the conversation is going to center around the weather and everything else that doesn't matter.

No comments: