About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

August 17, 2008

Usually, it's for the Best

I was griping about having a change of supervisor for my Reseach paper just weeks ago, simply because I was about the only one who was allocated outside my choice. I was of the opinion that my area of Research must be similar to that of my supervisors, therefore, that was valid reason for me to be upset - or so I thought.
I met my allocated supervisor yesterday and firstly, I was wrong in my assumption i.e. there was no need to do a research in his field of expertise - also, because of my background etc, he helped me narrow the field of research and by the end of the meeting, he was happy and so was I.

There are many areas I would like to do a research in - but my choice areas never really had to do with regular people - in that way, I am very constant in my preference. I was and will never be interested in what regular people are like in times of social stress or whether society is falling apart because people are too hung up on themselves because sometimes, it's best to understand that people don't change.

I wanted to do something more up my alley - like doing a paper on dysfunctional ideas - or mental health, because these are the groups who really need understanding and assistance so that the cycle is broken.

I'm now going to do a paper on animal welfare - something no one would really be interested in except a select few. Why would anyone bother about animal welfare - we have a great plenty who eat turtles - not bothering how they got to the pot in the first place. It's not the consumer that I'm intersted in, it's the butcher.
I have no qualms if my friends love turtle soup, because it's an 'acquired' taste, but I have a problem with how the turtle became soup - how a person could carve up the meat away from the shell. I'm sure my friends who enjoy the soup, will not be the one to scoop the meat from the shell when the turtle is alive.
I may be wrong, the butcher may have clobbered the turtle first - I don't know, and don't want to know, ever.

So it's set - my paper will not about about turtles about the greater picture about where animals fall in our hierachy of importance.

No comments: