About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

August 12, 2008

why study now?

Semesters' started and paper's due in 2 weeks.
What a way to go!

Why do people (like me & some of my friends) decide to study this late in life? Never mind the huge bill in fees that we need to fork out - it's time that money cannot buy.
For most people, it's upgrading of their work skill i.e. they will be able to get a better salary with their new qualification or new position in their current workplace. It translates into mullah, so that sacrifice would make sense.
For fewer people like me, it has got nothing, remotely close, to do, with that.

Firstly, the field I'm majoring in is not related to my work at all - It's personal interest that steered me in that general direction.
Because I'm running my own little business, all this money I'm ploughing into this programme is not going to translate into a promotion or an increment.

I guess when we have interest in something, half the battle is won.
We may not need to weave that qualification into our current work, but it will still provide us with options later. And studying never goes to waste.

For example, I did Biology - zoology+botany in college and what do you know? Today, I needed that little basic knowledge to help me work out a landscaping choice for a client. It may not be the specific name of a plant that's useable in this case, but more a choice of what's going to look great in this climate yet serving another aesthetic function. Sure, biology is too in-depth for something people think you just unpot into the ground but seriously, there is more to plants than just re-potting. Having an eye for beauty surely helps, but for work, it's always good to use correct terms - it's not just good, but impressive.
Although I'm not one that bothers about impressions, it does help when the agencies your client is dealing with, decides to give you a hard time and you are able to side-step it, professionally.

Moral of the story - studying is never a waste.
I could have one foot in the grave, but if there is a program which catches my eye and I can make time, I will go for it.
If only we all believed that when we were in full-time school.

No comments: