About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

August 20, 2008

read the contract

I had to speak to a tenant's wife of a client today and it's appalling how ignorant people are of the terms and conditions of the tenancy agreement.

In any business, clients usually choose the agents they wish to work with - it doesn't matter which agency or organisation the agents move to, but clients stay with their agents, because of rapport or whatever else their reasons may be. This is the same in the financial industry.

Today, this tenant's wife, told me that they signed an agreement with the company I have since resigned from, therefore they would need to re-sign another agreement with the owner. I was shocked that
1. she is so dumb
2. she obviously cannot read
3. and because she's not local, she expects me to agree that she's correct

I didn't want to explain, because basically, stupidity annoys me. This is not being ignorant, but it's stupid, because unless the company is the owner, why would you sign an agreement to lease the premises from that company?
I simply asked her what gave her the idea that my previous company owned that property? If her agent told her that, then why am I representing a third party, for whom the rental cheques are being made out to? It doesn't make sense, and I asked her if it made sense to her.

Basically, this person is biased because her agent is my ex-colleague, who is obviously unhappy with my resignation - which shouldn't be anyone's business actually.
My rule of thumb is easy.
Not happy, then move out - no need to cause unnecessary problems. That's what I recommended one tenant to do and I got my landlord a higher rental within the same week.

No comments: