About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

December 27, 2008

The biggest christmas present

Perhaps the most valuable, not biggest, christmas present, this season brought was news that this girl doesn't have to return to the halfway house yet. It wasn't a present for me (obviously) since that meant my space will continue to be shared - but for the girl, it was what she had been waiting for since April this year. Although there wasn't any indication that it was a 'discharge', it was a leap forward. Yesterday, she was due back to the Home.

For everyone who enjoys freedom, freedom to do as you please, freedom to walk where you wish, freedom to have a conversation with whosoever you want - we take it for granted and seldom think about it. But for this child, every scheduled phone call was listened in to, every shower time, scheduled - even meal times. Visits were limited and timed. The irony of it all was, she was there because her parents decided to be selfish and in their exchange of accusations, they forgot that children always end up getting caught and hurt.

Although this is the start of a new chapter for her, it's also the start of a long compromising period for me. It's tough enough to understand a straight-forward teenager - but one laden with issues she never used to have, is no walk in the park. She's also coming in to another home with different house rules, different expectations and basically, no opportunities to come and go like she used to in her own home - simply because I do not practice freedom without limits.

When I told her this good news, she was so happy, I could almost feel her screaming over the phone. It is, the best christmas present for her this year. She was still beaming when I came home yesterday evening - and looking at her face, I knew that all the sacrifices were worth it.

No comments: