About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

December 08, 2008

Sharing Space

This was a weekend where I had to share my space with my gfs teen. For the many reasons people don't have store rooms, I share the same ones except that I am fortunate to have an extra bedroom which has been converted into my linen room - everything related to linen is kept there, including winter clothes and whatever else that is not in my daily wardrobe.

It's a room with cupboards - multiply sets.

So when I had to reorganise the space, it became torture - the ironing board had to come into my bedroom temporarily with one coat rack. I'm not used to this crampiness.

As a person who treasures space - all of a sudden, I felt constricted.
It had nothing to do with the extra company - she's no trouble at all. It has got everything to do with just how much of free space I am comfortable to work within.

I thought about how people would live in a studio - some 400 sqft - and I knew that I could never survive unless I take drastic measures to throw out 90% of my stuff ! I didn't accumulate 'rubbish' over the years because I throw them out constantly - it's just having neat cupboards set according to what it's storing - and not to have a room cluttered with unwanted things.

My home is very cosy - I have huge furniture and most say it's 'filled'. But sparse isn't my style. I would have a small coffee table for each couch, for practical reasons - I don't believe in having one coffee table for all sitting around to share - sharing space must not mean unpracticality -

At the moment, this is a struggle - I'm not sure if this will work out in terms of sharing my space although I know it will work out for her in terms of having a stable foster home.
I have some time to think this through, thankfully.

No comments: