About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

April 13, 2007

corporate life

To almost everyone of my friends, they have encountered at least one person in their work life, who simply fall short of what they have been hired to do.
My next question is : Given a society high on meritocracy - how did this happen?
I work for an MNC, yet it falls very short on corporate policies being carried out. Sometimes, I'm mistaken and think that I'm working for some 'family' business where each policy varies according to which favoured member you are.
Perhaps that's why I never really stayed and made a career out of being just another headcount.
For those who are laid-back and not high on delivery, it probably would work out. I have experienced situations when an employee was made almost like a punching bag (not in the literal sense) yet that chap did not even think about leaving. Looking at his performance, he well-deserved whatever shelling that was dished out each time, so he figured he got it coming and as long as he's not being fired, he would just cruise along and bear with it.
Such people don't deserve to even have this extended opportunity, yet year after year, they are still on the payroll, albeit with no increments. It's appalling.
Point is, MNCs are too large to micromanage, but that is across the board. It's in their inability to hire the correct people to run the different offices worldwide. If you flip the newspapers in the recruitment section, you would see agencies seeking individuals with such and such a credential. Sure, we need some kind of education to carry out the work, but there are other individuals who do not have paper qualifications, yet able to deliver the same results, if not better.
Perhaps, it's time MNCs hire on Ability, not having a Masters' etc. I work with a Master's degree holder - most of the time, he's a Master at none of the appointed tasks.

No comments: