About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

June 01, 2009

Basics - why it's important

The term 'back to basics' is heard now and then. It crops up in our daily lives - at home, at work and even in relationships. We go 'back to basics' because we need clarification on some level our of understanding, so that we will be able to move forward.

24 days to exams and after 3 semesters, I finally had to go back to basics, thanks to stats.

In this age of information technology and super fast computers and netbooks, why bother to go back to basics, when we have softwares to do all the work for us? We don't even need to be intelligent to churn out a chart, because the Wizard is always a click away.

Unfortunately, stats doesn't work like that - and because this is graduate school and not the school of hard knocks, our basics was due yesterday already. The entire month of May, I was plodding page by page, because it's tough to decipher Greek when you only understand English. Each completed page, meant, a page closer to the end of the book (page 773, excluding glossary and references). Early May, I was at the p200 marker. It was unfulfilling and an insult to my mathematical ability. Of course there was a reason, the text book arrived late, some 4 weeks into the semester and lectures were backed up too. BUT reasons will always self-convert into excuses because fact of the matter is, if we knew our basics well, we didn't have to go back to it and could have just picked up from where we all left off.

So, unless you like the idea of being a ball, which is either kicked back and forth, or thrown back and forth; get the basics right, first time around, which is, be a square.

And so, late it may be, I have been doing more stats than I planned to do - because if I don't get my basics covered this time, there may not be enough days, next time to do so. I'm at p440 - more than halfway through and with work in between, the road to this page cost me sleep, lots of sleep...but that is definately easier to swallow than loosing AUD.

No comments: