About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

November 03, 2008

head fixers

Finally, 4504 is done with - it really wasn't a bad module, just a bad semester. I thought I was the only person so stressed that it manifested somatically - my classmates were in the same predicament. The worst part of it all was finding out 5 minutes before the paper that the Uni decided on a closed book exam. We were told it would be open book, simply because there were too many codes to make references to. The panic was severe and we even contemplated calling Aust.
I wouldn't say that it would have cost us in terms of marks, because we were not required to cite the exact code numbers - basically, anyone in practice would not have to at all - it was more critical to be familiar with the protocols in ethical practice. We managed to sit through it although I'm sure my classmates would have sent a distressing email to the HOD by now. Why not me? Well, I'm usually prepared for things to go either way - it wouldn't have made my answers any different - had it been open book, I may have been more accurate in citing the relevant codes including the numbers - but because it was closed book, the focus was on the principles - doesn't matter where it was fitted into the code book - as long as it was there.

In the professional capacity we will be in, I wonder if all this torture is necessary - we are not like lawyers, earning tons of money at whatever cost; we study for as long as doctors do, yet we are not seen as Gods the way doctors are. We just fix heads and most would think that didn't require much skill - well, if it didn't, why are we being tortured for as long as they are, just to get a licence!

1 comment:

UptownGal said...

Congrats! Made it thru today's paper! Your perseverance paid off.