About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

November 04, 2008

Snap back into WoRk

In counseling, we usually take the stand that we should never tell a client that we truly understand where they are standing, because no one could ever know, how another person feels unless they were placed in a similar predicament. For example, how could one understand loosing a parent, if you have never lost one in a similar way? How could one understand what it's like to be a victim of physical abuse, if one has never been a victim bearing the brunt of beatings?

If life were a learning experience, then for the past 2 weeks, I have experienced what clinical depression is like. Although no two persons would cope the same way, I can honestly say that I have been there. Today, I am still there, although I do have more coping skills than most who get here. I have not recovered - thankfully, there are no manic peaks, just cruising mood, which I am still able to manage. The key for me, not necessarily for every one who's in this state is work - not just keeping occupied, but work.

I do not like this state at all. I feel so exhausted, I'm running a temperature, and it's not the influenza virus, I tend to want to skip meetings, although I do not because it's my work, I have been trying to postpone meetings/viewings whatever appointments I have because I want to sleep and shut everything out.

Snap back into work.
That's the best way to walk through this season - it may not be solving the problem but at least it's buying time. Thankfully, my schedule is packed with appts and deadlines, so I don't really have idle time to feel depression rushing through my veins. This is not any coping skill but just responsibilities taking over. I could try to be irresponsible, but then that's not quite my style, depressed or not. And if that's the only thing I have to hang on to, I will, just until I figure out how to manage this, face-to-face.

No comments: