About Me

My photo
Read my blog and figure it out....:)

Search This Blog

November 13, 2008

Is it meant to be?

Sometimes we decide on some course of action and then realise it was lucky or unfortunate that we took that decision. Not all decisions we make are necessarily correct but we end up having to deal with the consequences.

Recently, I got back in touch with a close friend, was feeling really great about it, spending time with her, just to catch up. Yesterday, I found out that her ex-husband alleged some terrible things about her and her youngest daughter has now been removed from her custody, pending the outcome of the investigation. Trouble with this gf of mine is, she tries to manage without having to bother anyone, but between the McSpicy and Cheesecake, I found out. She was asked for a neutral party to mind the kid, but since she didn't have my phone number, she cdn't call me. It sounds silly, because she could have come over - but knowing my work schedules, I figured she rather not show up unless she made that call.

All friendships have protocols. We do not crash at a persons home unannounced, but in times of emergency, that should be excused, isn't it? But because she respected privacy, which is silly under these circumstances, the child is now living at a welfare home.

She finally asked if I would take on the responsibility of the child temporarily.
I couldn't say no, because her youngest is 13 and really does not need to be exposed in an environment so alien to her. I have more than enough on my plate, but for now, the childs well being is priority. As with all custody battles, it's long drawn and I cannot imagine leaving the kid there until the whole thing blows over, which could take months.

Was it meant to be that I was prompted to call her?
Perhaps.
We could never understand why some things happen, but let's stay focused on setting things right. I really do not need to mother a 13 year old now, but I don't see any other solution on the horizon.

No comments: